The Unusual Localization of Right Hepatic Artery Multiple Anatomic Variants in Celiac Axis
More details
Hide details
Konya Training and Research Hospital, Konya, Turkey
Publication date: 2013-01-09
Corresponding author
Kemal Arslan   

Department of General Surgery Konya Education and Research Hospital P.N. 42100 Konya, Turkey
Eur J Gen Med 2013;10(Supplement 1):62-65
The extrahepatic vascular and biliary anatomy of Calot’s triangle is well known to be highly variable and this provides a surgical challenge. The liver has a dual blood supply consisting of the portal vein and the hepatic artery. The hepatic artery which delivers 25% of the blood supply, arises from the celiac trunk. The celiac trunk gives off the left gastric, splenic and common hepatic arteries. The common hepatic artery then divides into gastroduodenal artery and hepatic artery proper which diverts in right and left hepatic arteries. The systic artery usually originates from the right hepatic artery. The “classic” arterial anatomy is present in approximately 75% of cases. The remaining 25% of the cases have many anatomical variants. Here in we present a patient with multiple anatomic variants in celiac trunk which were determined incidentally during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Being aware of the arterial variations in the liver is really important in surgical procedures in order to avoid bleeding and ischemia.
Journals System - logo
Scroll to top