Services available to children of leprosy patients in leprosy settlements in Abia, and Oyo States of Nigeria
More details
Hide details
College of medicine, Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
Online publication date: 2009-10-15
Publication date: 2009-10-15
Corresponding author
Enwereji Ezinna E.   

College of medicine, Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
Eur J Gen Med 2009;6(4):195-203
Aim: Study investigates extent to which services like free education, health care including HIV/AIDS prevention and others are available to children of leprosy patients in settlements; To find out the risk factors children of leprosy patients are exposed to in the settlements. Methods: Study was carried out in 3 purposively selected leprosy settlements, Uzuakoli in Abia State, Ohaozara in Ebonyi State and Ogbomoso in Oyo State using 86 children from 10 years and above who are available during study. Structured questionnaire, and interview schedule were instruments used. Data were analyzed with Stat Pac Gold package. Results: Provision of social services to children of leprosy patients studied is limited. Only a total of 13 (16.5%) of the children in both States enjoyed free education. The rest 66 (83.5%) paid school fees. Despite the fact that greater number of children in Oyo State 34 (94.4%) than in Abia State 32 (74.4%), enjoyed free education, higher proportion of children in Abia State 43 (95.6%) than in Oyo State 36 (87.9%), was in school. About 42 (97.7%) of children in Abia State and 30 (83.3%) in Oyo State lacked knowledge of HIV prevention. Neither reproductive health services including HIV/AIDS prevention nor prophylactic treatments for leprosy were available to them. Finding showed that out of 33 females studied, 7 (21%) in Oyo and 4 (12%) in Abia, without being properly married, were living and making babies with the opposite sex in the settlements. Conclusion: In view of above results, increased social services including HIV/AIDS prevention, prophylactic treatments and health promotions are recommended.
Journals System - logo
Scroll to top